About Me

Hello my name is Anne... and I like to run, find out a bit more about me. Check out my past races too.


Monday, May 13, 2013

Energize the Earth 5K 2013

On April 21, 2013 Gavin and I ran in the second annual Energize the Earth road race.  I am happy to say that it was our second time running it, so we have been there since the beginning.

The race starts in Lynch Park in Beverly, MA one of our favorite spots just to hang out and watch the sun set.  Although, this day we were there at 8:30 AM.

I have said it once and I will say it again... I am a slow runner, but in 2012 this race was my 5K PR (33:38.2)!  My plan was to beat my PR from last year.

Gavin and I decided to get Cliff Bars and Gatorade Prime Fuel drink.  Not going to lie, I think Gatorade is onto something.

The biggest thing that probably helped me pace myself was running with a friend of mine, Karen. She started me out at a really nice pace and I was able to keep that momentum going throughout the race.

I am not a big fan of stopping at hydration stations when I am doing less than 5 miles... I don't like stopping at all really, even for the 9K I did 2 years ago I just powered on through. Karen stopped at the first Gatorade station and I kept going... I know I am a terrible friend, but she was well aware I was on a mission for time.

I was able to find a few people that had a similar pace as much as they were not too keen on me tailing them (I don't really know that... but I just assumed that)
My pace splits per each half mile. 

I had a bit of ipod trouble for the first part of the race... note to self, get that playing before they say go! Who knows if I had been able to get going at a faster pace then I might have been able to get a better PR. Or I would have not been able to finish as strong, as it was right after the 3rd mile marker I tried to give it more juice and wasn't able to keep it up.  That might have had something to do with the obstacle of running through sand at the end. 

I beat my 2012 PR 33:05.9, alright so not by a lot. I beat it! Not sure if I was on a high from beating it or I just trained well enough, but I felt great afterwards. Not to mention, shaving 2 minutes off my time from a month earlier was a huge bonus. 

Slightly embarrassing post race photo... 


Karen, Gavin and I post race! (I made the shirts) 

Then we went out for beers, I like to get my antioxidants so mine was blueberry! (hope the sarcasm is apparent)

No comments:

Post a Comment