About Me

Hello my name is Anne... and I like to run, find out a bit more about me. Check out my past races too.


Sunday, May 26, 2013

Motivational Trickery


Workout: Treadmill 3.61 miles / 40 minutes

I wanted to run the Run to Remember today, but I waited too long and it was sold out by the time I got around to it. Congrats to my friends Carlyn, Pat and Amy for running today! Note to self, register earlier next year.

So my run wasn't what I was hoping for, but it is the farthest I have gone on the treadmill in a while. Also, I am still running on old sneaks, so there is that.  I felt good through the beginning of the run and at 30 minutes I hadn't even taken the sweatshirt off the front of the treadmill.  I think some of it had to do with how good I felt, and the other part was not being bored out of my skull with what was on television. 

When I am in the gym in the mornings I try to be a good sport and I put the news on.  I am not sure if it is trying to keep up with the story changes or reading everything they say but my ADD kicks in and I can't focus on anything except, when will this be over?  If I am watching an hour drama or a movie then it is much easier for me to get lost in the story line. 

From what I have been told running is mostly mental. I truly believe that your mind gives up before your legs do. I haven't made it to miles in double digits, yet so I feel like the mental game is yet to come.  It makes a difference when you are checking out the sights somewhere new. Races are also that much more motivational, with all of the other people around you and generally there is a cause reminds you that a few miles is nothing compared to what other people are going through. 

Running along the Cape Cod Canal


The weekend after volunteering at the Ragnar Relay, and running along this made 5 miles go by quickly. 


The Sagamore Bridge

I tend to play head games with myself to get to a certain point.  If it is good song or the surroundings or something on the television. Would I prefer to be outside with sights to see all the time? Of course! New England, although it has some great places to run with beautiful surroundings, weather and convenience is a factor.

Today was a trifecta of feeling good, good music (very important to me) , and entertaining movies that I had seen before on television (What Women Want, and The Proposal). Not gonna lie, when I found out that The Proposal was going to be on next I got a little extra pep in my step. Sandy and Ryan running around the North Shore of MA pretending it is Alaska, oh so entertaining! 

 
Running around Castle Island in Southie.  

What do you do to get through so that you don't cut your workout short?

No comments:

Post a Comment